Stork by Wendy Delsol - Review

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Title: Stork
Author: Wendy Delsol
Hardcover, 355 pages

Published: October 12th 2010 by Candlewick


Plot:

Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything.


Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life.
My Thoughts:

I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this one, so you can imagine my delight when I got hooked into the story. The beginning doesn't start you off with a big battle or anything, just a girl with a suddenly itchy scalp going to investigate the "Always Closes" fabric store across the street. From there the story takes off.

I really liked Jack's character. He was a mysterious love interest who I wanted to figure out. I knew there was something about him and there was a weird connection between him and Katla, but I never saw the twist coming at the end. I can't tell you how much I like it when a book throws me a good twist. One I wasn't expecting. Makes the book worth it, even if there were parts I wasn't overly crazy about.

There were a couple slow parts in the book, but the writing was beautiful and I kept reading on anyway. For that reason I am giving this one 4/5 Flying Clocks.




Another Book with a killer twist:

Darkness Becomes Her
 

1 comments:

Amber said...

Thanks for the review! I love a book with a good twist. This is sitting my tbr pile and I'm thinking I should really get to it soon!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison