The Revenant by Sonia Gensler - ARC Review

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Title: The Revenant
Author: Sonia Gensler
Hardcover, 336 pages

Expected publication: June 14th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
Source: ARC


Plot:

When Willie arrives in Indian Territory, she knows only one thing: no one can find out who she really is. To escape a home she doesn't belong in anymore, she assumes the name of a former classmate and accepts a teaching job at the Cherokee Female Seminary.

Nothing prepares her for what she finds there. Her pupils are the daughters of the Cherokee elite—educated and more wealthy than she, and the school is cloaked in mystery. A student drowned in the river last year, and the girls whisper that she was killed by a jealous lover. Willie's room is the very room the dead girl slept in. The students say her spirit haunts it.

Willie doesn't believe in ghosts, but when strange things start happening at the school, she isn't sure anymore. She's also not sure what to make of a boy from the nearby boys' school who has taken an interest in her—his past is cloaked in secrets. Soon, even she has to admit that the revenant may be trying to tell her something. . . (from goodreads)
My Thoughts:

This was a breath of fresh air as far as settings go. A lot of this novel is based on factual events (not the ghost story part, although there are still rummors about it to this day at the school) which makes the setting very real for me. Ms. Gensler has done a wonderful job using slang and terminology used back in the late 1800's which also stays true to the story.

Read this one if you like historical romances and YA fiction!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure where to put this, but I wanted to tell you how much I love the design of your blog! As soon as I opened it, I was like WHOA...VERY COOL. I can't wait to leaf through the reviews too. I love to read people's opinions and pick up a new book!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read this! I love historical fiction, and I love spooky tales.

Garfiun said...

I have read this book and thought that it was very good. I would recommend it to anyone.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison