Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs - ARC Review

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Title: Tempest Rising
Author: Tracy Deebs
Hardcover, 352 pages

Expected publication: May 10th 2011 by Walker Books for Young Readers
Source: ARC





Plot:

Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her—and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.


Song on constant repeat in my head while I read this novel: Love Song by 311


My Thoughts:

The first thing that pulls me into a novel is voice, and let me tell you, this one has plenty of it! I could hear the characters in my head. Each one had their own quirks, actions and/or sayings. That really takes a story to the next level for me.

I loved the plot of this novel and how Tempest knew about her mermaid status instead of just discovering it, like we typically get in YA paranormal/fantasy novels. Making her a kick-ass surfer, who is a natural in the water, drives home that she destine for the water. Tempest's loathing for her mermaid mother who abondoned her family is apparent and I love how she never wavers from that anger. It makes it very real, like in real life, it takes more than a soft smile and all is forgiven.

I loved Tempest's long-time boyfriend, Mark. He really cares for Tempest and you can see it in all of his actions, which it made it hard for me to accept Kai as the new love interest. (Which is the only reason I gave this one a 4/5) I know there is this unbelivable pull between Kai and Tempest, but I felt bad for Mark the whole time. I kept thinking, you're going to break Mark's heart! LOL Lame, I know, but also a sign of great writing. It's hard to make people care about ALL of your characters.

So As you can tell, I loved this one!! Add it to your to-be-read lists if you like saucy love triangles, great YA voice, mermaid stories and other world fantasies!

Looking forward to book two!!

1 comments:

Alexa said...

I've had this one on my wish list for a long time and can't wait until it comes out. I always had a mermaid fascination so I hope I like this one. Thanks for the great review :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison