Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Title: Darkness Becomes Her
Author: Kelly Keaton
Hardcover, 288 pages

Published February 22nd 2011 by Simon Pulse
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kelly-Keaton/101061679938748
Series: Gods & Monsters #1
Special Note: ARC Review from Simon and Schuster GalleyGrab




Plot:

Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.

Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.

Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.

My Thoughts:

This story has been on my mind since the day I finished it, mainly because of the kick-ass twist I didn't see coming. When you discover at the end of the novel what Ari actually is, you will be blown away. I mean, I spent the entire novel trying to figure out why vampires, witches and every other monster Ari came in contact with were afraid of her and when I finally got there I didn't see it coming. It was a twist that was so original I didn't even suspect it.

The characters were quirky and I kind of imagined "the kids" she talks about as Peter Pan's Lost Boys, only a supernatural version. Also can I say how much I love Sebastian. Dark, brooding vampires are always hot. Ari was a fun character as well, she wasn't afraid to fight. She will straight-up punch a dude in the face, or chop his head off. Whatever the case calls for. So I definitely liked her for that.

The ONLY nitpick I have about this one is it was too short, which made parts of it seem kind of rushed. The romance between Sebastian and Ari and her self-discovery of what she is could have been drawn out a little more. Don't get me wrong. I was hooked, but I felt is just went a little too fast. The novel is only 288 pages, so it is short, but I'm hoping book two is a little longer.

Read this one if you like Clash of the Titans, Percy Jackson mixed with supernatural creatures.

1 comments:

A Beautiful Madness said...

This book looks really good. I can't wait to read it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison