Delirium by Laren Oliver - Review

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Hardcover, 441 pages

Published: February 1st 2011 by HarperTeen
Source: Harper Collins ARC
Series: Delirium #1
CharactersHana, Lena Holoway, Alex Sheathes, Carol Tiddle, Grace Tiddle .




Plot:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.


But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

My Thoughts:

This novel has gotten a lot of buzz, so I'm always a little hesitant to read a book when people going ga-ga over it because it always seem to let me down. DELIRIUM however didn't do that. It really was just as good as people say. I'll admit, though, the 1st 80 pages or so didn't really hook me, but I kept reading, hoping to be blown away. For me it really didn't happen til the party scene. Once you get there, this novel is action packed. The 1st quarter of the book is all world building, so if you can make it past that part, I promise you'll love Delirium if you like Dystopian novels.

I really enjoyed the main character, Lena. She is described as a short, ordinary girl, but yet her inner strength, that she doesn't even know she has, really makes her special. Her drive and determination made me root for her and want her to succeed. She is so passionate about Alex, the boy she loves. I want them to run away together and live happy out in the "Wilds", away from the authority of the current government where love is forbidden.

The ending left me literally screaming NO! I want to know what happens next. I need to know what happens next! I'm hooked and can't wait til book two. You'll see what I mean when you get there!

This one gets a 4 rating from me, ONLY because of the slow beginning. Other than that, the book is amazing. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison