Watch Out Harry, There's a Hot New Half-Blood In Town

Saturday, March 6, 2010


As a young adult writer, a giddy feeling of excitment always stirs inside me when I see a YA novel turned into a film(YAYAYAYA For us writers!!), and I always support them by buying my ticket to watch it on the big screen. Percy Jackson and the Olypians:The Lightening Theif was no exception.

"Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.


Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves."
Amazon Book Description.

While my favorite boy wizard, Harry Potter, will always hold a special place in my heart, I think I can clear out some space for one of my new favorite fantasy adventurers, Percy Jackson. I really didn't expect much going into the theather, partly because I haven't read the book yet (I know...I suck. Bad Writer!! HEHE), so I had no high standard to be met. Well, I'm happy to say I was pleasently surprized. The characters were fun and engaging, and I really got into the film because I actually cared what happened to them, which is how you know it's an excellent story.

I've been told that Percy was made a little older in the film than in the books to help draw crowds, and if that's the case, well done. The adventure Percy and the other half-bloods go on would be a little less believable if he was any younger.

So basically, I just wanted to tell you all I watched the movie last night, and it kicks ass! Go out and see it, I think you'll like it.

PS: If you want to see some book reviews, check out what my blogging sisters had to say about it!

1 comments:

Leah said...

I loved Percy Jackson. And while it wasn't much like the book, I could understand as well why they needed to change it. Overall, a fun movie and a fun book.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison