Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire Review

Friday, November 11, 2011

Title: Beautiful Disaster
Author: Jamie McGuire
Source: Amazon (self published)

Two Different Covers Available:





Plot: 

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


My Thoughts:

This is one of those books, either you love it or you hate it. I've seen this novel referred to as literary crack before, and I have to say I agree. This novel grabbed me from the moment the bad boy love interest stepped on the scene. He was amazing. He did things that I didn't expect and I was shocked. SHOCKED and appalled by some of the things he did in this book, which in large part hooked me even more. So many times I find myself predicting what's going to happen in a novel. Most of the time I'm spot on. I've read a ton of books and just about all YA books follow a certain formula ,so to speak, that make them predictable.I couldn't do that with this book.

The one thing about this novel is it's self published, so sure it had some things that maybe needed tweaked, but the main plot is about the relationship between the main character and the love interest and it's strong. It was hard to tell at times that this was self published! Not since Twilight have I read a novel formulated around the connection of two people that hooked me completely. I mean, I read this book twice in about a week because I missed the characters after the first go around.

I recommended this novel to my fellow reviewers here at READING, WRITING AND WAITING and there are a couple that are Team Travis right along with me and one other I know for sure didn't really like it. So, I recommend this book to be read with an open mind. Sure the love interest is a little heinous at times, and sure there are some parts that are unbelievable and could've been tweaked. But read it if you adore romances that are a little reminiscent of Harlequins with smokin' hot love interests.

---Annie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison