Trance by Linda Gerber--Review

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Title: TRANCE
Author: Linda Gerber
Genre: YA
Paperback, 308 pages
Published October 14th 2010 by Speak (first published 2010)
Special Note: ARC review



It begins with a subtle vibration, a tingling.

There is time to take only one breath.

The trance begins.

When it is through, Ashlyn is certain of two things:

Someone she knows is about to die.

And she is powerless to stop it.

My Thoughts:

I'll admit first off I found myself partial to this novel from the beginning, mainly because the setting is in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio, so by page one I was hooked. I was pleasantly surprised, though, when I got into Ashlyn's story to discover she is a really complex character with tons of emotional turmoil, which always makes for a great read. Ashlyn has an overwhelming amount of guilt about her mother's death and a perceived addiction to presciption medications. There's also two boys in this book. One named Jake, my pick,  *sigh* rides a motorcycle and plays the guitar....I know, right!!! He's totally swoonable and Ms. Gerber has done a great job in creating realistic teen dialog, making Jake leap off the pages.

Also, I like how Ashyln's trances create a series of numbers, which she must learn to decode in order to gain power in stopping deaths. It's a nice spin in the Urban Fantasy Young Adult department.

So if you like MCs with lots of issues, hot-motorcycle-riding-guitar-playing boys, and mystery in UFs--this one's for you!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

**adds to TBR list** Thanks for the review! :)

Looksie Lovitz said...

loved this book. i dont know too much about ohio but it seemes to be the setting for alot of books im reading lately. therefore i have decided ohio must be awesome. lol. great review!

Anonymous said...

thanks i just got it from the library im reading it now

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison