The Frenzy by Francesca Lia Block --Review

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Title: The Frenzy
Author: Francesca Lia Block
Hardcover, 272 pages
Publisher: Harper Teen



Plot:

Love is a werewolf, influenced by the moon and terror, and always about to change. Liv has a secret. Something happened to her when she was thirteen. Something that changed everything. Liv knows she doesn't belong anymore-not in her own skin, not in her family . . . not anywhere. The only time she truly feels like herself is when she's with her boyfriend, Corey, and in the woods that surround her town. But in the woods, a mysterious woman watches Liv. In the woods, a pack of wild boys lurks. In the woods, Liv learns about the curse that will haunt her forever. The curse that caused the frenzy four years ago. And that may cause it again, all too soon.While Corey and Liv's love binds them together, Liv's dark secret threatens to tear them apart as she struggles to understand who-or what-she really is. And by the light of the full moon, the most dangerous secrets bare their claws. . . .


My Thoughts:

This book was a toughie for me. While I loved the concept of this book, I found I couldn't relate enough to the characters to really invest in them. The idea that Liv is a werewolf and doesn't know it, is exactly the kind of concept I usually go crazy for, but not with this one so much. I did, however, love the idea that her mother is a wolf hunter and there was crazy tension between Liv and her parents.

There were some other interesting things about this book that added a nice spin on the traditional YA friend/relationship dynamics. Liv has a gay best friend, whom she pretends is her boyfriend sometimes so his parents won't find out he's gay and hers won't discover she's dating a black guy. You rarely see interracial relationships in YA books for whatever reason, so it was a nice change of pace.

All in all, I have to say this one just wasn't for me. It could just be me. If you like werewolf stories give it a try and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Amber said...

It's a bummer that you couldn't relate to this one. I love the premise too and it seems like a hard one to get wrong but characters that you can't relate to will kill any story, no matter how good the plot is. Thanks for your honest review!

Amie Kaufman said...

It does sound like a really interesting premise, and as soon as I saw the title, I wondered what it was about, which is a good first step. As above, thanks for the honest review.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison