Hushed by Kelley York

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hushed

Paperback, 260 pages

Published December 6th 2011 by Entangled Publishing
ARC courtesy of NetGalley






Plot:

He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her.


Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.

My Thoughts:

When I read the summary for this book I thought I wouldn't like it. The cover grabbed my attention because it looked creepy, but a possible love triangle between two guys and a girl didn't interest me. I don't know why I downloaded it, but am glad I did.

I like older MCs. This one takes place in college and he's a serial killer. The first chapter kept me reading, not because I liked it, but because I was shocked. I liked the voice, so I decided to see where the author went, but I had reservations. How does one write a sympathetic serial killer? How can it possibly end? And seriously, this boy LI doesn't look at the crazy killer in a bad light? By the end of the book I was hoping he wouldn't get caught and he could live happily-ever-after with the sweet boy he was falling for.

On to the technical stuff. Pace, plot, voice, character development-it was all great. I was hooked and really liked the book. I can't complain. I did have to suspend my belief with Evan, the LI, but not because the love story was a bad one. It was fantastic the way their love grew. Sweet and very realistic. I would've liked to have seen more into Evan and why he could accept someone like Archer, I just didn't buy it. However, I thought the ending fit the story.

This gets a four rating because it stayed with me and I want to reread it. It was different from other stuff I've read, which intrigued me. It doesn't get that high of a rating because it was the greatest book and I absolutely loved it. I kept wondering what could happen and how it could be pulled off. I used my brain with this book and wanted a serial killer to walk away free-I don't know how that makes me feel as a person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams Storybook Collection by Lorie Davison